Plastic Injection Molding Material Selection
Material selection for plastic injection molding part production is critical. There are approximately 85,000 thermoplastics available in the marketplace. Within the vast options available, there are approximately 40 polymer blends or families.
We carry 40 resins in stock. In addition, we will assist you with sourcing non-stock materials, custom colors, specialty resins and accept customer provided materials.
Detailed information on the attributes of each material and their families can be obtained from suppliers in the form of data sheets, design manuals, online searches and other resources. It is important to do your homework in advance. Your final selection is vitally important to the rapid manufacturing process and part performance.
A variety of attributes should be considered when making a final material selection such as:
• Durability-What is the material’s ability to withstand pressure, damage or wear?
• Flexibility-Can it bend without breaking?
• Chemical Resistance-Will it need to protect against chemical or solvent reaction?
• Tensile Strength-What is the resistance of the polymer to breaking under tension?
• Temperature Resistance-Will the product be exposed to high or low temperatures? How will it react to other factors or polymers in the manufacturing process?
• Aging-Is there a shelf life required?
• Impact Resistance-What is the ability of the material to withstand a high force or shock applied to it over a short period of time?
• Environment-Will outside factors impact the product such as weather, chemicals, or other conditions?
• Material Cost-Will you select a premium or equivalent grade polymer?
• Product Availability-What is the lead time (availability)?
• Overmolding-Working with two independent materials, how and
will the two materials interact with each other in the manufacturing
Working on a project?
Let us help you get that first prototype underway and have that part in your hands in as few as five days. Our engineers help you through the design process. Get your project started now!