A U.S. Injection Molding and Rapid Manufacturing Company.
Production & Low-Volume Custom Plastic Injection Molding and CNC Machining in 1-15 days.
Cost of an Injection Mold
Custom Injection Molds can be very expensive to manufacture. One of the key factors driving up cost is the tool material selection. Typically molds constructed out of steel would cost more than double than that of aluminum. This is due to the much slower machining process of steel, as cutter wear vs speed becomes a major factor. High volume projects typically require steel because of its wear resistance. However, with the advance made in alloy blends, higher grade aluminum such as QC-7 and QC-10 or Aircraft Aluminum have closed the gap on the durability between steel and aluminum. Today, aluminum molds can produce hundreds of thousands of parts in a life cycle, with no wear.
Aluminum tools also offer quick turnaround and faster cycles because of better heat dissipation for cooling. Faster heat dissipation will result in cost savings on the production parts as well. This is because most of the shot cycle (time), consists of cooling time. In addition, when parts require high abrasive materials, the aluminum tool can be coated for better wear resistance. Furthermore, Aluminum molds can be engineered with steel components for high wear areas of the tool.
Other Driving Factors
The cost of plastic injection molds depends on a wide range of factors ranging from the number of cavities, size of the parts, complexity, life of the project, surface finishes and many others. The initial tooling cost can be high, however the piece part cost is low, as with greater quantities the overall price decreases. With the expanding global market, many injection molding service companies have found ways through technology and processes and quality systems such as ISO-9000, to drastically reduce the cost of tooling and parts..
Consider the following when designing your part for injection molding as these will have an impact on pricing;
- Annual Volume – Volumes over 100,000 annually will require multi-cavity tooling. This will increase tooling price significantly but will reduce the piece price by as much as 60% per additional cavity. Be sure to specify your annual volume accurately so you do not incur unneeded extra tooling costs.
- Undercuts– Although Xcentric can handle unlimited undercuts in the part geometry, these do not come without a price. So try and reduce the number of undercuts if possible.
- Surface Finish – Surface finishes can add awesome aesthetics to your part. However, if the part is hidden in an assembly, you can save money by choosing a 320 sand paper finish.
- Part Complexity – Part complexity can drastically increase the cost of your tool. The more faces or surfaces you cad model has the higher the cost. Consider this when adding blends or unneeded features.
- Mold Construction Materials – At Xcentric we will determine the best materials to build your Plastic injection mold. This is why we offer a lifetime mold warranty, Because we stand behind our work and engineering
At Xcentric we offer the mot affordable mold cost in the plastics industry. Get a quote today and see the difference.