Prototype Injection Molding Services
Xcentric is a leading provider of rapid prototype injection molding for a broad array of applications across most major industry segments. Over time we have developed the ability to quickly address the majority of thermoplastic molding applications within a given range of component sizes.
- Prototype injection molding and low volume injection molding from 25 parts
- Pre-production and production components > 100,000 parts
- Material expertise:
- Large in-house material selection
- Custom material selection and sourcing services
- Custom Colors (Any Color and Color Matching)
- Simple to complex molded components:
- Tight mold tolerances: +/-.005″ standard, tighter tolerances possible
- Components typically from 5” x 0.5” x 0.5” up to 16” x 16” x 4” (smaller and larger possible upon special request)
- Multi-component assemblies
- Medical device molding (except implantable devices, no in-house cleanroom capabilities)
Industries served by Xcentric
Xcentric has earned a reputation as a leading provider of rapid prototype injection molding by supporting clients from across a wide range of industries, each with specific requirements. Since its early days, no one industry has represented more than 20% of our business and no one customer more than 5% of our business, which has given us both broad experience and a high degree of stability. A sampling of the industries served:
- Medical device
- Consumer products
- Industrial equipment
- Computer and Electronics
Xcentric is your one-stop partner for rapid prototype injection molding services
When considering your choice of supplier for your injection molded components, it is important to consider a few critical points:
- Does the supplier have extensive experience with rapid injection molding as opposed to traditional high volume injection molding?
- Does the supplier analyze, design, and manufacture molds, as well as injection mold parts in-house?
- Can I work directly with designers, project engineers, and molding experts on my project if needed?
- Does the supplier have the ability to engage with my company at each stage of the product launch cycle: from ideation all the way through to full production?
- Does the supplier have the systems, equipment, partners, and processes to consistently deliver to our agreed quality and timeline expectations?
- Does the supplier design and build every mold and run its production in the United States?
Objectively, when measured against these criteria, Xcentric is one of the leading rapid injection molders in the world. This risks sounding boastful, but the reality is that Xcentric as an organization has been designed from the ground up and honed over decades to be the supplier of choice for rapid injection molding services. Our team of experts processes literally thousands of new projects per year in our Michigan-based facilities, our proprietary process engine codifies our design and manufacturing expertise to make our end to end process hyper-efficient, and our in-house equipment is tailored to allow time savings at every step. Based on the above, we are confident that we should be your partner of choice for rapid injection molding services.
A few additional points to consider
- We are focused on our clients’ application needs: surface finish, accuracy, aesthetics, production volume, secondary operations, special handling requirements
- We encourage close communication with our clients during each phase of the project
- We have in-house design, mold production, and injection molding capabilities
- We are proficient at high complexity parts including multiple undercuts, threads, and other complex features
- Fast turn delivery projects are our specialty: Injection molded parts shipped in as little as five (5) business days
- Our prototype and production tooling represent excellent value, particularly with our Lifetime Mold Guarantee(Learn More)>
- We are able to source from all of the leading thermoplastic material manufacturers
- Our proprietary Process Engine increases the probability of success
Tour our Facilities
Xcentric operates two state of the art rapid injection molding facilities north of Detroit, Michigan. These facilities were designed to minimize the total time from project initiation to shipping of molded components. We host hundreds of customers every year who wish to learn more about our approach, discuss their projects, and learn how they can better employ rapid injection molding in their future applications.
Rapid prototype injection molding tools for extremely short product introduction timelines
Xcentric has refined the process to analyze a customer’s plastic part design for manufacturability, design injection molding tooling, produce specialized injection molding tools employing our proprietary process engine and decades of hard-won tool-making experience, and ultimately produce molded parts, such that we are able to ship molded parts consistently in as little as five business days. This is only possible because we understand and control each phase of the process and have deep in-house expertise and capabilities. For certain applications, we work with leading experts to augment our capabilities and provide even more value to our customers.
Xcentric supports the entire injection molded product introduction cycle from concept to production. We listen to and understand the needs of our customers for each individual project, and the particular phase of each project, to suggest the correct technical and business solution. Our team of experts has worked with customers from nearly every industry utilizing injection molded components, allowing them to quickly align on the key project and product requirements.
For example, in the event that only a few production quality components are required in the designated material as fast as possible for certification, we will adapt our consulting and production process to achieve this outcome through various expediting techniques. Should that customer then require 100,000+ production parts once testing is complete, we are able to seamlessly transition to production based on the learnings from the initial prototype process and dramatically shorten the time to market compared to the scenario where the customer goes out to a full production supplier.
While we are certainly not the lowest cost supplier of these services, we have proven time and time again that we create enormous value for our customers by helping them get their projects completed on time. The positive impact of saving a few weeks or even months on a multi-million dollar product introduction far exceeds the incremental cost of working with a premium rapid injection molding service provider like Xcentric.
Speak to an Xcentric rapid injection molding expert about your next project
For your next injection molding project, we encourage you to speak with one of our molding experts in the U.S. to explore how we can help you achieve your goals. Because we design, produce molds, and mold parts in-house, we have had success on thousands of projects over the years, and we have met almost every challenge our customers are likely to face. This will help us guide you to a solution that has the highest probability of succeeding on time to the agreed level of quality.
In a typical project we will initiate a consultation over the phone and web once we have received your IGES or STEP file and basic requirements: material, surface finish, production volume, and desired delivery date. Based on this information we will prepare an initial quotation within 24 hours, but often as little as one hour. Thereafter, in the initial discussion we will cover the basic requirements of the individual component, the project application so that we understand the context, project timeline, prototype and production volume requirements, and other factors to help us properly advise the client. In most instances a design for manufacturability assessment will be made using advanced mold-flow simulation tools and consultation with additional molding experts if needed.
Once we have agreed on the project parameters, have aligned on the project success criteria, and have confirmed the receipt of your purchase order we will kick off the project formally. Thereafter you will continue to work with your customer account manager throughout the project as needed. The phases are:
- Initial design review & design for manufacturability (DFM)
- Material sourcing (if not a stock XME resin)
- Mold design
- Mold production
- Injection molding try-out and sample part production (typically 25 samples)
- Sample confirmation or request for engineering change(s)
- Inspection and shipping
Depending on the complexity of the project and certain aspects of your product design, we may need to initiate one or more engineering changes to achieve a successful outcome. While we do our utmost to avoid these changes, some combinations of features, materials, and other design specific attributes do not lend themselves to injection molding and require modifications to the component, the tool, or both.
The icons below will help you easily navigate to additional resources for Injection Molding